Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Greater Plan

A friend asked me an interesting question the other day. If God loves His people, why does it seem that those who believe and love Him fervently, suffer the most? Good question.

I really don't know that answer. I've wondered that same thing many times. I feel as though I've had more than my fare share of trials. I emerge from each one a better person. My faith in God remains. But, why do I have to continue to suffer?

There is the adage that God will not give us more than we can handle. In the back of my mind, I would like to think the believer would have an easier road. Then again, if our road was easy, would we forget to offer our praises to God? Would our pride take over? Would we be convinced that our success is a result of our own abilities?

I wish I could answer the question. It would help me as I ponder what could be my aunt's final days (see "Jesus Wept"). She loves the Lord, has an unshakeable faith, but her cancer is back and is beginning to consume her.

What God has in store for her is more than I can imagine.

He is in control of the greater plan.

1 comment:

In Russet Shadows said...

I'm not sure that we are in fact suffer more -- perhaps it feels like it is more because our suffering is discipline, designed to correct our behavior.

Also, we Christians are honest and open about our struggles. Unbelievers hide and/or diminish their struggles. Thus at first blush, it seems like everything is going wrong in church, because people aren't putting on this mask of "everything is fine" 24-7.